Mary Washington Healthcare is seeking a Nurse Practitioner Clinic Cardiovascular/Cardiothoracic Surgery for a job in Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Job Description & Requirements
- Specialty: Cardiovascular/Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Discipline: Nurse Practitioner
- Start Date: ASAP
- Duration: Ongoing
- Employment Type: Staff
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
Mary Washington Hospital, a subsidiary of Mary Washington Healthcare, in Fredericksburg, Virginia is currently seeking a cardiothoracic nurse practitioner or physician assistant. Ideal candidates will have at least 2-3 years cardiac surgery experience; however, new graduates are encouraged to apply. The candidate will work collaboratively with the surgical team to provide patient care both in the outpatient clinic setting as well as post-operative critical care and step-down units. Out-of-hospital call will be shared among the mid-level practitioners equitably, and typically on a 1:5 rotation. Team is typically staffed with five APP’s that share call equally. Office consists of 2 Cardiac Surgeons and 1 Thoracic Surgeon. One of the highlights of this position is the inpatient and outpatient mix and the close working relationship with the surgeons.
Mary Washington Hospital’s heart surgery program was begun in 1994 and currently performs 200 heart surgeries annually, including coronary artery revascularization, complex valve repair/replacement, atrial fibrillation correction surgery and aortic reconstruction procedures as well as 130 transcatheter aortic valve (TAVR) procedures. In addition, our thoracic surgery program performs more than 400 lung resections and foregut procedures annually.
Fredericksburg is centrally located 50 miles south of our nation’s capital, Washington, D.C., and north of the state capital, Richmond, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah and Blue Ridge Mountains are an hour drive west of Fredericksburg.
Mary Washington Hospital offers a competitive compensation package which includes annual salary commensurate with experience, performance bonus, continuing medical education reimbursement, comprehensive health care, paid vacation, and retirement plan.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with physician, demonstrates ability to consul patients and family members about diagnosis, testing, surgery and risk of procedures.
- Performs comprehensive health assessments for the purpose of diagnosing and treating individuals.
- Formulates appropriate differential diagnosis, develop treatment plan to include appropriate diagnostics; identifies non-pharmacological interventions, appropriate pharmacological agents and education. The plan is based on mutually established priorities to maximize the heath potential of the patient.
- Provides relevant patient and family education; makes appropriate referrals to other professional and community agencies.
- Orders and provides preliminary interpretation of diagnostic studies.
- Prescribes non-pharmacological therapies and pharmacological agents within the defined scope of service and according to guidelines established by the supervising physician.
- Demonstrates the ability to use effective organizational/prioritization problem-solving and decision-making abilities in practice.
- Provides emergency treatments and initiates emergency life saving measures per ACLS guidelines.
- Meets all the requirements of the practice agreement with the supervising physician under the regulations and requirements of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Delineation of Privileges:
- Obtain, record and dictate medical histories
- Perform, record and dictate physical examinations
- Make daily rounds, record progress notes, write routine comfort and diet orders, order laboratory tests and non-invasive examinations, write approved routine orders, and change dressings
- Prepare patients for discharge from the hospital
- Dictate discharge and transfer summaries
- Evaluate patients who require a surgical consult
- Apply and change dressings
- Remove sutures and staples
- Perform venipunctures
- Insert IV needles and catheters
- Catheterize urinary bladder
- Pass nasogastric tubes
- Place and remove chest tubes and monitoring lines
- Irrigate chest tubes and catheters
- Remove intra-aortic balloon pump
- Debride, irrigate and pack surgical wounds
- Remove drainage catheters
- Educate patient/family regarding disease, procedures, medication, nutrition, healthcare, and post-discharge care
- Dictate letters to physicians, patients
- Act as liaison between patients and physicians
- Act as liaison between nursing and physicians
- Request consults from health agencies and act as liaison
- Make and receive phone calls to/from patients, physicians and nurses for information, advise, triage
- Maintain statistics
- Complete insurance forms and home health forms
- Maintain written material; teach devices and special equipment for use of personnel and patients.
- Registered Nurse licensed to practice in Virginia or eligible, required
- MSN, required
- Current Virginia state certification as an Adult Nurse Practitioner, required
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required
- Recent adult medical-surgical experience, required
- Ability to work effectively in emergency situations and under stress
- Proficient leadership skills
- Ability to work cooperatively/collaboratively as part of a team, developing productive working relationships with diverse groups of people.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Mary Washington Healthcare Job ID #R-11465. Posted job title: Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant: MWMG-Cardio & Thoracic Surgery
- 403b retirement plan
- Sick pay
- Employee assistance programs
- Holiday Pay
- Pet insurance
- Medical benefits
- Dental benefits
- Vision benefits
- Life insurance
- Discount program