Work Life

Classic Cocktail Trades for Mocktails

As busy as the holidays feel, who can blame someone for pouring a big glass of red wine when they get home? But, who has time for a hangover this time of year? Whether you’d like to cut back on your alcohol intake in the new year, you’re the designated driver, or want some kid-friendly or sober friend options, cocktails that can be turned into mocktails meet the needs of any special occasion. 

Many people often turn to alcohol after stressful shifts as a means to unwind, but there are better ways to destress. Drinking can also feel a bit peer-pressured at times with people saying things like, “I’ll have another if you do”. When you have a fun mocktail in hand, people won’t question your decision to omit the alcohol. So, raise your glass, and let’s toast to these better-for-you, tasty alternatives!

Mojito

All you need to do to remix this classic drink is to omit the alcohol. You’ll need lime juice, simple syrup, mint leaves, sparkling water and ice. You can spruce it up with pomegranate or cranberry juice. Another fun addition is to muddle a handful of blackberries or raspberries with simple syrup for a festive look. I also love a piece of sugar cane in my mojito! Whenever cutting back on alcohol and out with friends, a virgin mojito is definitely an easy go-to. This Mojito Mocktail Recipe is delicious and fun!

Mimosa

This is a very simple exchange since mimosas are usually just two ingredients. Swap out the champagne or Prosecco for sparkling water or alcohol-free sparkling wine. Another nice addition is a splash of ginger ale or ginger beer, adding a refreshing twist. You can also trade out the orange juice for pomegranate or cranberry juice. This Mindful Mimosa Mocktail recipe is a great alternative, and this grapefruit basil mimosa is heaven. 

Moscow Mule

Mule’s usually consist of ginger beer, simple syrup, alcohol, lime juice, and mint leaves. Skip the vodka or gin and try it with a splash of club soda or fresh orange juice. They’re refreshing and great anytime of the day. Put a slice of orange or lime and a few mint leaves on top, and you won’t be missing anything. This quick and easy recipe for an Orange Moscow Mule is unique and tastes amazing.

Peach Bellini

This mocktail is a simple trade of Prosecco/champagne for club soda or sparkling water. You can also use peach nectar or peach juice and skip the simple syrup or sugar. Frozen peaches make this drink accessible at any time of year. Another fun twist: add ginger beer for a little extra tang. Toss a few raspberries and mint leaves on top to garnish a beautiful drink. This Bellini Mocktail recipe is refreshing.

Mulled Wine

Mulled wine is a personal favorite this time of year. I’m married to a Swede, and a traditional drink at Christmas time is Glög. It’s very similar to mulled wine…it warms you up from the inside, and the smell is divine. I recently found this recipe alternative and I’m heading to the store to buy a bottle of non-alcoholic cab sauv tonight! 

I’ll probably add fresh orange slices and all-spice to my mixture. When serving Glög, most people add a few slivered almonds and raisins to their drink. Try that in this alcohol-free mulled wine recipe from the Mindful Mocktail. I can’t wait to see how this turns out. 

Mocktails for Any Time

Multiple companies now make alcohol-free wines and sparkling wines which make these recipes much easier to make! Most options have about 0.5% alcohol per serving. Look into which ones suit your drink recipes, because there are endless options. For any kombucha-lovers out there, this is another great swap for alcohol in a lot of recipes.

Town and Country published a great article with more festive twists to mocktail recipes that I found in my quest. Let us know how you get creative with your mocktails and which ones you try! 

Stay healthy and safe this year, enjoy your time with family and friends, and rest up before your next travel nurse assignment.

operation-happy-nurse
Operation Happy Nurse

Operation Happy Nurse is a nonprofit group that provides mental health and wellness resources for healthcare professionals. Their mission is to help all nurses struggling with stress, anxiety and/or depression by creating a community focused on improving overall mental health and physical well-being.

Comment (1)

Omg can’t wait to try these mocktails. Excited thanks so much for sharing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular on Community Hub