Medical Laboratory Specialist - Katy, TX
At Memorial Hermann, we’re about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
Job SummaryPosition is responsible for providing, maintaining, and supporting Laboratory Services Quality Management program.
Education: Bachelors Degree (Equivalency Required for Foreign Education)
- Medical Technologist (ASCP) or Medical Technologist (AMT)
- Certified CLS (ASCP), Certified MLS (ASCP or ASCP-International) or Certified MLS (ASCP or ASCP-Internatio) CM
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Five or more (5+) years of clinical laboratory experience including responsibilities in a lead/senior role
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of “we advance health” through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Coordinates proficiency orders receives and distributes proficiency testing samples, and analyzes all proficiency data and exception reports to comply within CAP acceptable guidelines.
- Coordinates non-proficiency testing for accuracy.
- Ensures that operations are compliant to conditions and standards set forth by various governmental and accrediting agencies including TJC, FDA, CAP, AABB, HCFA, OSHA and CLIA.
- Prepares various QA/QI reports for the Monthly Operating Report and Laboratory Services Quality Plan. Examples include turnaround times, red arm bands, critical values.
- Provides computer support for changing test table and quality control builds.
- Analyzes quality control data and provides a summary to Laboratory and Medical Directors
- Conducts required function and equipment checks
- Ensures a safe laboratory environment by performing safety checks, gathering safety data for various quality assurance reports, preparing safety tests and serving as a resource for the laboratory safety program.
- Evaluates new instrumentation, new methods, new reagents and quality control to support laboratory testing within the system. This required performing validations of analyzers and documenting precision and accuracy of tests.
- Recognizes that customers include patients, physicians, administration and other departments. Implements and maintains effective processes to monitor and improve customer satisfaction. Supports System and campus customer service initiatives. Utilizes and supports the use of PIC principles.
- Supports the System Quality Initiative. Utilizes and supports the use of Quality processes, techniques and principles to improve key processes. Ensures that processes are in place, which adequately monitor and ensure the validity of laboratory results. Participates in multidisciplinary teams to improve campus processes.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with Laboratory and Medical Directors, other members of management and employees. Is sensitive to the needs of others. Demonstrates the behavioral expectations in an exemplary manner.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education, skills competency, supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor, and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
The average salary for a Medical Lab Scientist in Katy is $29.36 per hour. This is 6% higher than the Texas average of $27.71.
Estimate based on Bureau of Labor Statistics data.