Supervisor Registered Nurse (RN) - PCU - Progressive Care Unit - $43-64 per hour
Inova Health System is seeking a Registered Nurse (RN) PCU - Progressive Care Unit Supervisor for a nursing job in Fairfax, Virginia.
Job description & requirements
- Specialty: PCU - Progressive Care Unit
- Discipline: RN
- Start Date: ASAP
- Duration: Ongoing
- Shift: nights
- Employment Type: Staff
Inova Fair Oaks is seeking an experienced RN with telemetry experience for a Registered Nurse Unit Supervisor position with the Progressive Care Unit.
Full Time Nights
Front line leader who is accountable for delivering highly reliable results related to Quality and Best Practices to improve clinical operation of the unit; embraces, uses and understands the research behind nursing practice and quality tools. Supports unit-based shared governance and decentralized decision-making structures and processes. Role model who leads by example in delivering Service Always and in making Patient Experience a priority on unit(s) of responsibility. Seeks every opportunity to meet the unique needs of each person we are privileged to serve-every time, every touch. Ensures that care is patient-centered. Continually pursues activities that will ensure smooth clinical operations/flow and compliance with Inova's goals of providing safe, equitable, patient-centered, timely, efficient, and effective care in a holistic and evidence-based practice environment. Values and promotes collegial working relationships within and among disciplines. Engaged team member who is empowered to support Our People priority by providing genuine acts of caring, appreciation, recognition, coaching, mentoring and encouragement to all members of the care team in order to further enculturate Inova's Care Delivery Model and results for all of Inova's strategic priorities. Communicates effectively and supports production of an environment of mutual trust.
- Conducts an effective safety huddle making use of all relevant information and making appropriate decisions to ensure optimal outcomes.
- Ensures all audits are completed accurately and delivered when specified.
- Conducts or appropriately delegates all Safety Rounds (Falls, Central Lines, Foleys, bed alarms, etc.). - Conducts or appropriately delegates all Safety Rounds (Falls, Central Lines, Foleys, bed alarms, time-outs, etc.).
- Reviews core measures, KPIs and other metrics relevant to unit/patient population.
- Ensures environmental rounds and operational checks are completed as well as follow-up with relevant departments or people to close out issues that are identified.
- Participates in Emergency Preparedness drills and training as required Participates in Emergency and Safety Preparedness drills and training as required. - Participates in Simulation Labs and Operating Room Safety Stand-downs.
- Ensures adherence and can explain/teach others Joint Commission standards that are relevant to areas of responsibility.
- Contributes to professional decision-making to support and/or implement unit-based quality improvement work and strategic outcomes.
- Serves as role model to others in communication to patients, identifying concerns, diffusing potentially difficult situations and facilitating resolution.
- Conducts high quality leader rounding to ensure patient satisfaction and identify areas of opportunity. - Recognizes, coaches and mentors’ staff in all elements of the Care Delivery model.
- Provides oversight of RN rounding to ensure patient satisfaction and identify areas of opportunity.
- Recognizes, coaches and mentors’ staff in all elements of the Care Delivery model.
- Conducts quality checks to ensure that intentional and purposeful patient rounding is completed. - Recognizes, coaches and mentors team members, as appropriate.
- Conducts quality checks to ensure compliance and team member adherence to high quality ISHAPED handoff and ensures effective communication with PACU. - Recognizes, coaches and mentors’ staff in doing the same.
- Escalates barriers to unit leader or other appropriate party, as necessary.
- Conducts quality checks to ensure compliance and team member adherence to high quality ISHAPED handoff.
- Recognizes, coaches and mentors’ staff in doing the same.
- Escalates barriers to unit leader or other appropriate party, as necessary.
- Conducts and ensures that Patient/MD/RN rounding is completed for areas of responsibility. - Escalates barriers to leader or other appropriate party as necessary.
- Participates in analysis of unit-based service outcomes (i.e. HCAHPS, non-CAHPS, etc.), as well as development of action plans that lead to systematic improvements in outcomes. - Participates in analysis of unit-based service outcomes (i.e. HCAHPS, non-CAHPS, etc.), as well as development of action plans that lead to systematic improvements in outcomes.
- Integrates evidence-based practice and research into clinical and operational practice.
- Serves as physician liaison and primary information resource and contact for the unit.
- Continually communicates with team (leaders, physicians, employees, patients, etc.) to update them on priorities and areas of concern.
- Collaborates with case management, Pre-Op, PACU areas or other necessary, involved parties to ensure that discharge needs are in place to provide smooth transition of patient flow.
- Completes charge nurse reports/checklists as requested.
- Makes effective clinical decisions based on education and experience.
- Proactively supplies information for bed and/or staffing meeting(s).
- Accurately assesses current state and forecasts staffing and supply needs and works to proactively resolve staffing discrepancies.
- Contributes to completion of annual evaluations as delegated by unit leadership.
- Participates in the disciplinary process for employees, when applicable, by providing necessary input to performance deficiencies.
- Participates in the interview and hiring process for new employees.
- Meet with Director/Nurse Manager daily to review overall shift needs/accomplishments. - Manages conflicts effectively.
- Provides 1:1 coaching and counseling to clinical staff on critical processes, standards, and problem solving/critical thinking in a positive and non-punitive manner.
- Serves as a model for professional behavior. - Communicates expectations effectively, advocates and supports the clinical staff and promotes an environment of mutual trust.
- Conducts high quality huddles communicating strategic priorities to include discussing barriers and challenges. - Conducts high quality shift huddles communicating strategic priorities to include the target, actual and gap, barriers, small tests of change and results of rounding, challenges, celebrations, etc.
- Rounds on staff continually and serves to remove or escalate barriers to providing quality care enhancing staff engagement.
- Supports staff engagement in their work by recognizing those who have exceeded expectations. - Coordinates staff breaks or other staff coverage issues (examples: transport, surge, etc.).
Completion of revised Charge Nurse Workshop within the first 90 days.
•At least one year of Registered Nurse Clinical experience required; More than two years of Registered Nurse Clinical Experience specific to the focus of nursing unit is preferred
•Recent Acute Care experience and/or nursing practice experience
•BSN or MSN Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
•An exception may be granted for RNs who do not have a BSN. Associate Degree RN’s must be able to obtain BSN within one year of hire
•Special training Completion of revised Charge Nurse Workshop within the first 90 days
•Previous leadership course completion preferred
•RN License to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia
•BLS for Healthcare Provider certification required
•ACLS certification required
•Excellent verbal and written communication skills
•Exhibits leadership ability that fosters teamwork and retention
•Demonstrates professionalism and ability to remain calm and lead in dynamic and busy situations
•Proficiency in computer skills, Microsoft Office and healthcare software required
•Strong problem-solving capabilities and prioritization
•Can serve as a resource and mentor to other clinical staff on the unit.
Inova Fair Oaks Hospital
3600 Joseph Siewick Dr
Fairfax, Virginia 22033
Vivian rates working in Fairfax, VA
Want to hear more?
We'll start a conversation with Risha BSN, RN from Inova Health System to answer any additional questions you might have. No obligation, no fuss.