Why nurse practitioners love their jobs
Inspiration

10 Reasons Why I Love Being a Nurse Practitioner

Nurse practitioners (NPs) are a vital part of the future of healthcare, providing primary care services to Americans and encouraging patient wellness. We talked to NPs from across the nation who shared what they enjoy most about their profession and how their chosen career paths enrich their lives professionally and personally. Keep reading to learn 10 reasons to love being a nurse practitioner.

1. Patient-Centered Care

As physician shortages create a demand for primary care providers, nurse practitioners often step in to fill the void. According to the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), NPs handle more than 1.06 billion patient visits annually. NPs examine patients, recommend treatments and prescribe medications (where allowed), taking a unique patient-centered approach.

“I love being an NP because I’m now able to utilize my nursing skills and be the ‘director’ of care for the patient,” explained Dr. Jennifer Plescia, DNP, APN. Dr. Plescia is a board-certified family and emergency room nurse practitioner and owner/CEO of IVs by the Seas.

“I look at patients as an entire entity, and not just a diagnosis, which is important because patients will not trust you with their healthcare needs unless you can be trusted. It’s important to know how to treat people medically, psychosocially and within their learning capabilities,” she said.

Many NPs thrive on bringing a personal touch to healthcare. “I love working in the clinic and engaging in a meaningful way with patients,” said Dr. Caitlin Goodwin, MSN, RN. Dr. Goodwin is a certified nurse-midwife consultant for Mom Loves Best.

“I often felt dismissed and not heard when I’ve been a patient,” she added. “I love the engagement and ability to listen to patients, make them comfortable and provide evidence-based, trauma-informed care.”

2. Autonomous Practice

Nurse leadership skills

With a high level of education, NPs receive training to use their clinical knowledge, experience and judgment to make independent patient care decisions. The scope of practice, however, depends on the state.

Currently, 26 states and the District of Columbia provide NPs with full practice authority, which allows them to evaluate patients, interpret tests, develop treatment plans and prescribe. California became the 27th state in January 2023, but NPs won’t get to practice independently right away. Other states limit the scope of practice or require supervision by another healthcare provider who must be available for consultation.

“Depending on the state practice laws in the state where you operate, you will have varying degrees of autonomy, but even in the more onerous states, you will still see your patients independently,” explained Susan Gentile, a nurse practitioner at ChoicePoint. Gentile has an Adult Nurse Practitioner Master of Science and provides urgent care as a primary care provider.

She added, “In the United States, nurse practitioners are well-respected and frequently more or less capable of working alone. Although you will be able to make clinical choices for your patients independently, you will still be able to ask your colleagues for advice if necessary.”

3. Long-Term Job Security

Nurse practitioners are in high demand, with more than 435 staff nurse practitioner jobs posted on Vivian Health on February 17, 2023. While NP jobs are available nationwide, demand was especially high in Texas and Florida during this period.

Nurse practitioner jobs should multiply dramatically in the coming years as the healthcare industry and patients realize the critical contributions NPs provide in primary care. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics expects NP jobs to grow 46% between 2021 and 2031, adding about 112,700 new positions during this period. This growth rate was faster than other advanced practice nursing roles, including certified nurse anesthetists and certified nurse midwives.

A few factors contributing to this increase include the shortage of primary healthcare providers, an aging baby boomer generation requiring medical services and a growing focus on the importance of preventive care. As a result, more RNs are pursuing nurse practitioner education, confident there will be future demand for their skills. More than 36,000 students graduated from NP programs in 2021, up from about 22,700 five years ago, according to the AANP.

4. Lucrative Nurse Practitioner Salaries

Heart and piggy bank

Nurse practitioners are among the highest-paying APRN specialties. To become an NP, you must earn an MSN or DNP, which translates into higher earnings once you start practicing. According to Vivian’s data, the average nurse practitioner salary was $53.77 per hour in mid-February 2023, about 44% higher than the average RN salary of $37.24 per hour. However, some permanent NP jobs listed on Vivian on February 17, 2023, paid up to $90 per hour.

NP salaries vary according to experience, education, certifications, location and specialty. Our nurse practitioner salary guide explores these differences in detail, highlighting average salaries for certified family nurse practitioners, pediatric nurse practitioners, pain management nurse practitioners and psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners.

5. Patient Empowerment

While NPs can diagnose and treat patients, they also play a broader role in health education and wellness. Many NPs counsel their patients on positive health and lifestyle choices to help prevent disease and improve overall well-being.

“I love having the opportunity to provide patient education. There is so much information out there on the internet and on social media. Unfortunately, much of it isn’t evidence-based,” explained Lawana V. Brown, MSN, WHNP-BC. Brown is the Director and an Associate Professor in the Women’s Health NP online program at Regis College

“I love being able to use stories and analogies to make patients understand what is going on with their health,” Brown added. “If I can make a patient understand the need to choose a particular diet or to take their medication, I can empower them. When patients feel empowered, they usually make better choices.”

6. Continuous Learning

Taking the Next Generation NCLEX

Healthcare is a dynamic and evolving field. Gentile believes that each day, her colleagues and patients offer her the opportunity for growth, new lessons and success.

“I believe, as humans, we never stop learning new things. Every day, nursing allows us to advance and diversify the field. Every patient has a different history, which presents a new challenge every time. It makes the job exciting and interesting and keeps you up to date with the latest trends in healthcare technology,” she said. “Not only is healthcare technology evolving, but also the way that healthcare is delivered as a whole.”

7. Travel Opportunities

The demand for NPs across the nation gives you mobility. You can relocate to other states as a nurse practitioner or take advantage of the chance to combine work and travel. 

Healthcare facilities often employ travel nurse practitioners on a temporary basis. Travel NP jobs are usually 13 weeks long and enable a facility to provide patient care while staff members are on leave or until it fills a permanent opening. Vivian had more than 90 travel nurse practitioner jobs posted on February 17, 2023, with the most significant demand in California, Oregon, Washington and New York.

Travel nurse practitioner jobs allow you to earn money while seeing new parts of the country, whether you dream of visiting Times Square or dipping your toes into the Pacific Ocean. Some NPs also use the opportunity to live near families and friends for a few months.

You can earn generous pay as a travel NP. The average travel nurse practitioner’s salary was $3,459 per week, according to Vivian’s salary data on February 17, 2023. This weekly salary translates to $86.48 per hour in a standard 40-hour workweek, about 61% higher than the average staff NP hourly rate of $53.77.

8. Connections with Patients

Pediatric Nurse Practitioner salary is one of the highest

Nurse practitioners make a positive difference in the lives of those they care for, but the feeling goes both ways. An NP job can also be deeply rewarding on a personal level.

“As a nurse practitioner, you come across people from different fields of life,” Gentile said. “They tell us about their difficulties and how they manage their day-to-day routine. It made me realize how blessed I am . . . this is the best part of my profession. I come across people, and each patient leaves a mark on my personality.”

9. Public Respect

Nurses have always been held in high esteem, topping Gallup polls for over two decades as America’s most ethical profession. NPs build on this faith as people recognize their increasingly vital roles in healthcare.

“One pro of being a nurse practitioner is the reality of being in a respected and trusted profession,” says Cheryl Maes, Ph.D., APRN, FNP-BC. Dr. Maes is an assistant professor in residence at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, School of Nursing and a practicing nurse in Las Vegas.

Nurse practitioners provide some of the same essential services as physicians, which elevates their status in the eyes of the public. 

“This occupation is demanding and requires a considerable deal of sympathy as well as awareness,” noted Dr. Maes. “In the end, not only nurses but also nurse practitioners impact many people’s lives and are advocates for their patients.”

10. Career Flexibility

With the knowledge you acquire during your education and clinical work, you have the freedom to tailor your NP career to your interests. You can open your own practice and focus on your patients’ well-being or play a broader role in shaping local, national and international healthcare policy. The AANP also notes that NPs often act as mentors, administrators, educators and researchers.

“I think many NPs are drawn to the profession because we can really make a difference for both individuals and our community in such a meaningful way. The profession provides a unique opportunity to offer a positive impact on a daily basis. And while this is also true for me, one of the reasons I truly love being an NP is because of how versatile the job really is,” explained  Dr. Stephanie Au, DNP, FNP-c, MSN, RN. Dr. Au is an Assistant Clinical Professor at the University of California, Irvine School of Nursing.

“As an NP, I can work directly with patients of all different specialties, either in inpatient or outpatient settings,” she said. “But I can also work in research, community and integrative health, education, legislation, product development, law, administration and so many more.”

NPs who embrace opportunity will find their clinical expertise opens many doors. 

Dr. Au added, “As someone who loves to learn, push myself out of my comfort zone and enjoys the option of flexibility, that is something that I think is truly unique about this profession!”

Browse Jobs

vivianhealth
Vivian Health

Vivian Health is the leading jobs marketplace built to serve healthcare professionals first. Our transparent job information not only helps nurses and allied health professionals find their next opportunity but empowers them to grow their careers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular on Community Hub