Wellness

9 Ways to Get Outside Before and After Your Shifts

Between working long hours and pulling night shifts, working in the medical field can really take a toll on our bodies. When’s the last time you spent five minutes quietly soaking up the sun, just as a stress reliever?

Sunlight is a powerful thing, and a few minutes in the sun each day can make an incredible impact on our mood and overall health. Five to fifteen minutes of direct sunlight on your face, legs, and arms 3-4 times a week is enough to maintain most people’s Vitamin-D levels. Keep in mind, it’s generally recommended to limit sun exposure from 10 am-4 pm when UV rays are at their height. And even then, don’t forget the sunscreen. 

A study through NIH showed that when Vitamin D levels are within normal limits, it can help fight depression and elevate overall mood. They also found adequate vitamin D levels to lower the risk of multiple sclerosis, cardiovascular disease, certain cancers and type-2 diabetes, while aiding in weight loss and calcium absorption. Normal levels of Vitamin D can also reduce inflammation in the body and aids in cell growth. Get out there and get some sun. 

Sunlight and phototherapy are often used to prevent and treat Seasonal Affect Disorder (SAD) because of light’s effect on the body’s serotonin levels. Healthline states that, “sunlight cues special areas in the retina, which triggers the release of serotonin.” So, one could say, the more sunlight you get, the happier you feel. 

Not only are there tons of benefits to getting more sunshine, research also shows spending time in green space reduces anxiety, and improves mood and focus. A study of “nature therapy” by Cornell University, found that 10-50 minutes spent in nature improved mood, focus, blood pressure and heart rate. There’s also evidence that we sleep better when we spend more time outdoors. 

With the days getting longer and all the benefits we absorb through sunshine and green space, here’s a list to help you get outside more this spring and summer. 

1. Move your morning routine outdoors

Some people wake up and workout. Others roll out their yoga mat for a stretch. On my days off, I tend to enjoy a leisurely morning sipping my coffee/tea and staring off into space. Why not try doing whatever your morning routine is, outside? Early morning sunshine before 10 am isn’t associated with any increase in skin cancer, and it’s a really nice way to wake up and start your day feeling energized. 

2. Find an outdoor farmers market

As it warms up across the country, farmers markets become more abundant. You can find a huge, vibrant variety of produce, food trucks, baked goods, all varieties of milk, pickles, kimchi, special soaps, or every type of cheese imaginable! Grab your grocery bags, grab the kids and dog, and head down to buy some fresh produce. Soak up the sun, and maybe grab some snacks to enjoy on your way home.

3. Exercise in the sun

Not only does this save electricity (yay, environment!), it’s good for the soul. There’s not a lot that makes me feel better than going for a run, bike-ride, hike, or yoga class outside. Sometimes the outdoor elements can put a stop to this. Make sure to check your weather app and plan to get out on the warm, sunny days that we’re already starting to feel. I can’t help but smile as I find my stride and feel the warmth of the sun on my back. 

4. Enjoy a meal outside

Try dining outside at a restaurant, a local park, or even on your balcony & back-yard. If you’re at work, see if you can step outside for your lunch break. You’ll find yourself enjoying your food and company more than you would inside. The stress-reduction benefit happens almost immediately. The only problem is, you might not want to go back inside!  

5. Go for a hike or walk

Walking and hiking are a great social exercise that you can do with friends and family.  You can also choose to tread quietly and observe all natures’ beauty, if that’s more your speed. Maybe even enjoy a beer at the summit before the trek back. 

If you don’t know of any hiking or walking paths near you, I recommend the AllTrails app. My husband and I use it everywhere we go. It gives you the location of the trailhead, length, description, level of ease, and lots of reviews on each trail. Check it out, you’ll be surprised to find some of these trails are right in your backyard. And, if you are tight on time, you can easily choose a short hike that fits into your schedule. 

6. Try camping or glamping

As a kid, I loved camping! I still love real camping—although my body wakes up a little stiffer than it used to. There’s something really soothing about waking up with the sun shining in over the dew across the tent. The Dyrt app is a great place to search for new spots, places that are dog friendly, including glamping and RV locations for those of you less dirt-friendly.

Depending on where you live, you can check out these Getaway cabins. Located in hotspots across the U.S., they are tucked away in the woods for a very outdoorsy feel. They’re essentially tiny homes, equipped with a large floor to ceiling window, for a perfect view of the woods. Start a bonfire, roast some marshmallows, forget about your phone, and take a moment to stare up at the stars. 

7. Start a garden

Gardening can be incredibly rewarding—working in the dirt has a soul cleansing effect. And seeing the products of your hard work is so fun. Some easy things to grow include tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, squash, and herbs. Roll your sleeves up, maybe get a pair of crocs, and get your hands dirty. It feels good! Also, if you don’t have your own backyard or balcony space, look up community gardens near you. You an get your own small plot and meet your neighbors. Win win. 

8. Plan a picnic

Whether you live in the city, the ‘burbs, or our in the country, you can always find some green space to spread out a blanket for a picnic. If you really want to make it fancy, take some inspiration from the luxury picnic trend that’s been popping up since the start of the pandemic. Even if you’re at work, grab a friend, and go eat your lunch outside. It’s an easy way to decompress and reset while getting a little extra time outside. 

9. Visit a local winery or brewery

Ok, so booze maybe isn’t always the “healthiest” choice, but if you are comfortable indulging a little bit, there are so many small wineries and micro-breweries that boast beautiful outdoor areas for you to enjoy. So many of them will have big tables outside, games, fun events, and sometimes some live music on the weekends. You might also learn a little about the drinks, and the local history of your area. 

And if none of this strikes your fancy…

Find something that does! No two nurses are the same, and while you may not have connected with any of the ideas above, there are tons of ways to get excited about going outside. Find what makes you happy!

Written by: Claire Lang, BSN-RN

operation-happy-nurse
Operation Happy Nurse

Operation Happy Nurse is a nonprofit group that provides mental health and wellness resources for healthcare professionals. Their mission is to help all nurses struggling with stress, anxiety and/or depression by creating a community focused on improving overall mental health and physical well-being.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular on Community Hub